REHABILITATION OF THE HISTORIC 13th FLOODGATE OF THE CASTILLA CHANNEL
The Castilla Channel is an outstanding civil engineering achievement of the Spanish Enlightenment period. Construction of the channel began in 1753 and the last branch was completed in 1849. As a waterway of more than 200 km (125 miles) in length, the canal was key to the industrial and economic development of the Spanish Northern Plateau region.
A Joint Venture between FHECOR Ingenieros Consultores and Jesús Castillo Oli Arquitectura has been awarded the project to rehabilitate the historical site surrounding the 13th Floodgate of the channel, located in Naveros de Pisuerga (Palencia). The project also includes the construction of a new bridge over the channel and a proposed bypass for the existing road.
According to the selection board, the FHECOR – Jesus Castillo proposal was notable for respecting the natural environment, use of original materials, and restoration of the historic landscape. In the words of selection board members, the proposal “avoids historicist imitations that would obscure the value of original structures”.
Holding as a core value the restoration and conservation of heritage infrastructure, FHECOR considers it a privilege to participate in the rehabilitation of the Castilla Channel.